The International Commission on Stratigraphy is the largest and oldest constituent scientific body in the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS). Its primary objective is to precisely define global units (systems, series, and stages) of the International Chronostratigraphic Chart that, in turn, are the basis for the units (periods, epochs, and age) of the International Geologic Time Scale; thus setting global standards for the fundamental scale for expressing the history of the Earth.
News & Meetings
- New ICS Executive Officers for term of 2016-2020[2015-11-09]
- ICS Medals awarded to Andrew Miall (Toronto, Canada) and Aitor Payros (Bilbao, Spain) at STRATI 2015[2015-09-13]
- Joint ICS-NSF Workshop "Archiving the Stratigraphic Record" will be held at Graz, Austria, 24-25 July 2015[2015-05-13]
- NSF awards ICS a grant of $75,000 to support its activities[2014-03-10]
- Shell donates Euros 10,000 to ICS[2014-03-09]