The International Commission on Stratigraphy is the largest and oldest constituent scientific body in the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS). Its primary objective is to precisely define global units (systems, series, and stages) of the International Chronostratigraphic Chart that, in turn, are the basis for the units (periods, epochs, and age) of the International Geologic Time Scale; thus setting global standards for the fundamental scale for expressing the history of the Earth.
News & Meetings
- January 2013 version of ICS International Chronostratigraphic Chart and explanatory article published in September 2013 issue of Episodes[2013-10-10]
- GSSP for base of Jurassic System, Lower Jurassic Series, and Hettangian Stage published in Episodes[2013-10-10]
- Chinese, French, Japanese, and Spanish Translations of the ICS Chart now posted on the ICS Website under "Chart/Time Scale"[2013-03-27]
- New Permian Time Scale[2012-12-08]
- New website for Ordovician Subcommission[2012-12-08]
- 1st International Congress on Stratigraphy (STRATI 2013) will be held in Lisbon in July of 2013[2012-09-10]